Wednesday, July 15, 2009

20.3 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path & in Colonie Mohawk River Park
Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Been feeling a bit bummed recently for no apparent reason, so it was easy to give in to lazy slugdom over the last couple of days. But today I managed to get off my backside and out on the bike for a while. Nothing spectacular - I rode the bike path over to Colonie Mohawk River Park, then headed down into the park to to the boat launch. I'd been planning to head east a bit further but the path was closed at the park - if I had to guess I'd say that all the rain we've been having probably washed part of the path out.

After a brief encounter with a moron and her snarling growling unleashed dog, I spent a few minutes taking pictures along the river, then headed back west. Rode all the way to the base of the old Niskayuna landfill before heading back to the car.

The river was surprisingly low so I spent a little while down at the Lions Park boat launch checking out the Mohawk... while I was there a beaver came swimming out from a little ways downstream, which was a pleasant surprise. Almost made up for the mosquitoes doing their best to make a meal of the parts of me that I hadn't sprayed with bug repellent.

I'm getting used to riding the Dawes again... perhaps I stand a chance of being able to maintain my racing pace for 12 miles at the Presque Isle Du after all...

JMH