Wednesday, July 15, 2009

CYCLING THE ERIE CANAL 2009
Wednesday, July 15, 2009

As I was riding along the bike path this evening I noticed that the Cycling the Erie Canal markers had been freshly repainted, which reminded me that the 2009 tour should be happening right around now... and sure enough, when I checked the website, it turned out to be taking place this week!

Cycling the Erie Canal is an 8 day bicycle tour from Buffalo to Albany organized by Parks & Trails New York. Riders average about 50 miles a day, much of it along the Canalway Trail, with a variety of stops at historic sites. The tour started in Buffalo last Sunday; they should be passing through the Albany area this weekend (finishing up at the Corning Preserve on Sunday.)

I've always thought it sounds like a lot of fun, though the cost is a bit steep for me and 8 days is a long time. Still, it reminds me that I would like to ride across the state someday, maybe from Albany to Rochester... of course, once I ride it, then I'll have to figure out a way to run it...

JMH