Wednesday, September 23, 2009

7.1 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Wednesday, September 23, 2009

By the time I managed to get out for a run, I only had half an hour or so before I needed my headlamp to see where I was going back in the woods. Yet another reminder of several months of evening running in the dark that lie ahead.

I ran an uneventful loop through the Madison Avenue Pinelands and Great Dunes sections of the Pine Bush... at least the lack of daylight made it harder to see the very frustrating destruction left behind as part of the ongoing habitat restoration over there. At this point most of the trails I loved most have been affected, with a lot of wonderful wooded areas stripped of trees. presumably to restore the sandy meadow/field habitat. I saw a group of deer staring at me off one trail... once again they didn't seem to know what to make of me, possibly because of the light on my head. I startled them a bit later as the trail looped around and then heard a second group disappear into the brush later on.

JMH