Tuesday, November 03, 2009

SLOW GOING
5.8 Mile Run at Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve
Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My first time running again since I screwed up my knee at Hairy Gorilla, and my first time running since the switch back to Standard Time. Fortunately, I had a short work day so I was able to get up to Vischer Ferry a little earlier than I might otherwise have, and had almost an hour before I had to break out the headlamp.





The knee is still grumpy so it was slow going with a lot of walking breaks. I'm dialing back the mileage for a while; the plan is to try and rebuild some of the fitness I lost this summer because of being both injured and lazy.







Lots of geese out on the water, and quite a few very nervous ducks (at one point groups of them kept flying up from the swamp next to the path and I repeatedly tried to get a photo of them going overhead, with no success.) Spotted a few muskrats as well and had a great view of the moon after it rose. Before I turned around and headed back I walked down to the edge of the river and looked across at the bike path, not that there was much to see in the dark. While I was there something rustled in the leaves and then there were two blue-green eyes staring at me from partway up a tree... never got to see what it was, because it dashed away when I tried to get closer. Later I saw a set of eyes that turned out to be a cat.



It was good to be out running again, no matter how slowly. Right now I doubt I'm running the race at Mendon Saturday morning - there are an awful lot of hills on that course. But who knows, maybe my knee will be feeling well enough by then that I'll change my mind.

JMH