Sunday, November 01, 2009

STANDARD TIME? WELCOME TO NOVEMBER...
Sunday, November 1, 2009

Yup, it's my yearly grumble about the evils of Standard Time. While I don't mind that extra hour of sleep when we set the clocks back in the fall, that's just about the only thing I like about the switch to Standard Time, which heralds several months of my being exiled to running and riding in the dark, now that sunset is not that long after the time I get out of work.

This year the return to Standard Time goes hand-in-hand with the arrival of November, probably one of my least-favorite months of the year. The brightly colored leaves of October are mostly gone, the warmer days are fewer and further between, everything seems to turn shades of brown and grey, and during the week it starts to seem like the only hours of daylight are while I'm cooped up indoors warping impressionable young minds. And when I do hit the trails on the weekends I have to be careful to dress in as much orange as possible, in hopes that a hunter won't mistake me for whatever critter he's hoping to take home with him.

Ah, well, enough griping. I'm probably just bummed because my stupid knee has messed up a lot of the fun I was hoping to have this year. Time to try to enjoy this month, despite the strikes it apparently has against it!

JMH