Saturday, October 31, 2009

ROAMING THE WILDS OF NORTHEASTERN COLUMBIA COUNTY
3.3 Mile Walk at Ooms Conservation Area
2.0 Mile Walk at Wilson Powell Wildlife Sanctuary
Saturday, October 31, 2009

I left the house heading toward a hike to the summit of Harvey Mountain, on the NY-MA border, and possibly a hike to the Beebe Hill Fire Tower and No Bottom Pond. On the way home I planned to swing by Ooms Conservation Area, one of the Columbia Land Conservancy properties that's supposed to be a good birding site. Unfortunately, as I drove east the clouds moved in and it started drizzling... so I headed to Ooms first, hoping the sky would clear a bit. That never really happened to any great degree, and I didn't feel like hiking up Harvey in the drizzle, so in the end I visited another birding site nearby, the privately owned Wilson Powell Wildlife Sanctuary.

more to come...