Wednesday, December 23, 2009

1.6 Mile Walk Around Buckingham Lake
Wednesday, December 23, 2009



My knee was a bit sore this morning, so I decided to wait until tomorrow to get out for another run, which meant I needed to find someplace to go for a walk today. Snow blew in without much warning around lunch time - not a lot, but just enough to make the roads slick, which meant my errands today took longer than I wanted them to and limited me to walking somewhere nearby (to avoid a long drive with all the nutjobs on the road.) Buckingham Lake is a nice little bit of nature tucked away in the suburbs not too far away. There's the lake itself (really a pond) with a path running around it, plus a small playground and some thin patches of woods. I've wanted to go there during daylight hours since I first stumbled across it on a run, so today seemed like as good an opportunity as any.





With the snow falling pretty steadily and the wind and cold, it was no surprise there was only one other person there - a fellow ignoring the "Keep Off The Ice" signs and skating. I did end up seeing four or five other folks walking their dogs by the time I was done going around the lake twice. It was a nice winter scene, though I think I prefer it in the spring and summer when there are ducks and muskrats out and about. The only critter I spotted the entire time I was out was a lone downy woodpecker way up in a tree, though I imagine there were other birds hunkered down in the trees and bushes where I couldn't see them.





JMH

5 days so far... Friday and Saturday will be the real tests of my commitment, though...