Saturday, December 12, 2009

SLOW GOING ON A COLD SUNNY DAY
4.1 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Saturday, December 12, 2009

I had not one but two plans I bailed on today, in light of possible lousy weather during my drive back tomorrow... the Last Chance Trail Run and Pancake Breakfast in Syracuse, and the It's a Wonderful Run 5k in Seneca Falls which I signed up for on the chance that I decided not to do the trail run for one reason or another. Instead, I ended up staying here this weekend and headed over to the Rotterdam Kiwanis Park west of Schenectady for a short run on the bike path alongside sections of the old Erie Canal.





I wasn't sure what shape the path would be in, so I took trail shoes, screw shoes, and snowshoes... ended up using the screw shoes, though the snowshoes would have been handy for one stretch. The path had seen some snowmobile action since Wednesday's storm, so much of it was packed down and an some cases had melted and refrozen as a layer of ice. No complaints, that provided decent footing for my screw shoes. Debated about clothing for longer than I should have but in the end dressed right - a bit chilly for the first 10-15 minutes but then comfortable once I warmed up.





This is the first time this winter that the old canal and portions of the river have been frozen over... the cold weather and sudden onset of winter seem to have dampened the spirits of the wildlife, though I did hear some chicadees, juncos, bluejays, and I think a nuthatch. I also briefly saw what I think was a kestrel - he (or she) was perched in a tree overlooking the path taking in some sunshine but flew off before I could get my camera up to take a picture, more's the pity.



I was tempted to keep going for another half mile to a mile but decided to play it conservatively instead in hopes that my knee will bounce back quickly and I can go out again either tomorrow or Monday after work. I really need to get back to getting outside 4-5 times a week if I'm going to have any hope of regaining something resembling my previous strength and endurance (and to work off the addicitive brownie white chocolate coconut cookies Hannaford carries in the winter... since I seem incapable of going in there without buying a box or two.)

JMH