Wednesday, March 10, 2010

11.1 Mile Ride at the Corning Preserve & Schuyler Flatts Cultural Park
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I was feeling a bit under the weather today, so instead of stopping somewhere between Rochester and Albany for a run I decided to take one of the bikes out once I got home. Unfortunately I dilly-dallied around a lot in the morning so by the time I got home, changed clothes, and got the bike on the car the only reasonable option was to go down to the Corning Preserve, which meant I'd be somewhat limited in the distance I could cover.





Yesterday Ann and I noticed that while the day was pleasantly warm, the temperature dropped rapidly once the sun started to go down, and today the same thing happened... I ended up with a fairly chilly ride in the end, especially since I got off to a late enough start that I ended up making the ride back pretty much in the dark. On the plus side, that meant I spent most of my time riding, because it was too dark to stop and take pictures!



The warm weather continued to bring out the birds, especially red-winged blackbirds and robins. I also spotted the kingfisher at the spot where I frequently saw him last year - it's good to see that he's back. Surprisingly there were very few gulls around.



There were more people than I expected out on the path during the ride back, most walking with no lights and dark clothing... that kept me on my toes, since I really didn't want to run into anyone. The worst stretch was the last mile to the parking lot, both because it was darkest and the lights from downtown and the cars over on 787 made it tough to see what was in front of me.



JMH