Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Geese on the Move!
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Yet another sign that spring is on the way - Canada Geese are migrating north. During my drive back to Albany I saw a number of flocks flying overhead, in some cases with what looked to be a hundred or more geese in a group. They were particularly concentrated in the area around Montezuma NWR - no surprise, really, except that the ponds there are still frozen, which left me wondering where the geese are spending their time. I had my answer just past Montezuma - a flooded field just a short distance east of the Cayuga-Seneca Canal had some open patches of water and was covered with geese. I wish I could have stopped and gotten pictures of both the flocks in the air and the geese on the ground, but given that I was on the NYS Thruway it would have been an incredibly bad idea to do so.

JMH