Wednesday, August 25, 2010

6.6 Mile Run at Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve
Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Took a chance that the bugs wouldn't be too bad this late in the summer and headed to Vischer Ferry for a short, easy run. Today was the first day this week that my quads didn't feel like someone had been pounding on them with a hammer, and my left knee was even feeling decent... though both my legs and my knees made it pretty clear that I shouldn't extend the run and overdo it (which of course I wanted to do!)






















Spotted quite a few herons and a few ducks along the way... the rain had water levels a little higher than they often are at the end of August, which was rather nice. Maybe the dampness also explained why I saw about half a dozen toads hopping around on the paths. And while purple loosestrife is an invasive species that needs to be controlled so it doesn't out-compete our native cattails and grasses... it sure does look gorgeous against the green background.






























By the time I was done I could feel I'd been running, but wasn't particularly worn out or so... a good sign for my longer runs over the next few months. I'm not where I would like to be after having a whole summer to run and ride whenever I want... but maybe I can get closer with some consistent work this fall.