Friday, August 27, 2010

Tough Decision...
Friday, August 27, 2010

Everything was looking good for this weekend's Hueston Woods Du in Ohio... the weather looks to be excellent (especially compared to last Sunday!) and both the bike and I seem ready to finish respectably (for me, anyway.)

Unfortunately, as the day progressed and I thought about it more and more... I decided not to go. I really want to do the race, for a bunch of reasons - it would be the longest du I've ever tackled, it's in a place I've never been, and it looks like the field for the Olympic Distance is fairly small. But the thought of spending 17+ hours driving this weekend, when I could be doing something fun with Ann on the last weekend before work starts back up (I don't count Labor Day weekend, since she always goes camping then) - in the end, that just seemed like too much.

Maybe next year I can schedule things differently and actually make it an extended trip to Ohio and visit a bunch of parks while I'm there... but this year I think it's going to have to be another DNS.

Sigh.

On the bright side... we'll have an entire weekend with what's supposed to be fantastic weather to get outside and do some fun stuff. Could be a whole lot worse...!