Tuesday, September 07, 2010

19.5 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, September 7, 2010

For whatever reason (maybe a reaction to a day of pre-back-to-school meetings?) this evening it just felt good hammering out some miles on the bike. I kept up a pretty good pace from the Lions Park over to a ways past the Colonie Mohawk River Park, and even skipped a trip down to the riverfront there because I knew I'd get sidetracked.





Though I did make up for it somewhat when I rode out to Lock 7... first I spent a while watching the dozens of gulls perched on the edge of the Lock 7 dam...



... and then I noticed an egret out in the "bay" next to the upstream entrance to the lock, so I walked out on the concrete pier and spent a while watching him and taking pictures.





As I was walking back to my back I realized there was also a heron out there... and startled a second heron that was near the shoreline as well. Unfortunately at that point it was getting too dark for me to get any decent shots of him flying off.






Back at the Lions Park I was pleased to see a bat fluttering around... now if only I could have gotten him to eat the bugs that were biting me as I was trying to load my bike on the car and get ready to head home!

JMH