Saturday, October 16, 2010

REBUILDING DISTANCE 2010 - Race #32
Black Diamond Offroad Duathlon
Saturday, October 16 , 2010

2010 Black Diamond Duathlon results
Black Diamond Duathlon information

Overall a decent race on my part, though my slowest time yet (by a little over 3 1/2 minutes, sigh.) Finished in 1:33:39, with a little over 20 minutes for each 2 mile running leg (not PR's but decent for the way I've been running this year) and a whopping 50:16 for the ride. I don't know if it was the wind, the wet ground, or my not putting in enough time on my bike recently... just had a tough ride today.

On the positive side, this is the first time I've done this race when it didn't rain! I really started to wonder when I was about 20 miles east on of exit 45 with sunny skies and saw a band of dark clouds covering the Victor/Fishers area... but while we started the race with grey clouds overhead we had sunshine during the last part of the ride and during my second run... for me, sunshine on a cool fall day makes racing so much easier. I even considered heading back out on the bike afterwards to get some photos of the fall colors along the rail trail, but decided to both save some energy for tomorrow and get over to Ann's a bit sooner.

One runner had a close call during the second run... apparently he was found unresponsive on the trail and when I went by was being given CPR while they waited for the EMT's arrival. By the time I came back through they had already gotten him on the road to the hospital... the word from a variety of sources is that he went into cardiac arrest and was found by other runners who began CPR, then was revived either by a sheriff's deputy using an AED or the EMTs, there are conflicting reports in the articles I found about that. As of Saturday night he was in the hospital in guarded condition. Scary stuff that definitely makes you think... and it reminded me that I while I keep thinking I need to take a CPR course I really need to get off my backside and actually do it.

JMH

2010 Event Totals
Run 270.3 mi, 63 hr 7 min
Bike 119.4 mi, 8 hr 51 min

Snowshoe 71.7 mi, 18 hr 26 min
Kayak 3.0 mi, 47 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, OH, PA, VT