Thursday, November 24, 2011

12.3 Mile Ride on the Erie Canalway Trail, Gates to Lock 33
Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ann headed down to the ambulance base to spend 4 hours on EMT duty tonight, so I packed my gear and took the bike over to the Public Safety Center for a ride on the canal path. Between the holiday and the fact that it was dark, I was fairly sure I wouldn't see anyone else on the path (and I was right... though I did scare a bunny and a deer while I was riding.)

Right off the bat I ended up questioning whether I should ride tonight, when I got a flat all of a half mile from the car... so I headed back to the car, changed the tube, switched to a slightly heavier jacket (it was chillier than I thought, and I don't have any of my warmer tops out here) and headed back out. Thankfully the remainder of the ride passed without mishap.

The section of path just east of Genesee Valley Park is pretty sad... I had seen it from the highway but it's even worse being on the path. What used to be a tree-lined, partly shaded path is now wide open on one side, thanks to the arboricidal maniacs at the Canal Corporation. Over the last few years they've been cutting down trees and clearly bushes along the edge of the canalway trail, probably for very practical reasons - but I can't help but lament the loss of flora, habitat for the local birds and critters, and shade for those of us who spend time on the path.

I had forgotten that heading east is always easier than heading back west, thanks to the typically eastward blowing wind along the canal - and tonight was no exception. Made for a tough, chilly ride back, with zero temptation to extend my time on the bike for a few more miles.

I continue to be very pleased with my Niterider MiNewt 350 bike headlight - man, that thing is bright! Definitely the best investment I've ever made toward riding at night.

And I continue to be dismayed by how little time I've spent on my bike this year... after all, bike season has wound way down and I'm not even at 700 miles for the year. I've got to be more committed to riding next year, or I'm going to pay for it big time during any duathlons I do.

JMH