Wednesday, November 23, 2011

PRE-THANKSGIVING RUN WALK
1.5 Mile Walk at Buckingham Lake
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

When I got up this morning I was pretty sure I'd go for a short run today... my foot was feeling a good deal better, and I've tried to go for a run the day before Thanksgiving for the last seven years (though I missed 2009 due to a knee injury... bleah.)

But... it was cold and raining outside (as in "barely above freezing" cold and raining.) And I listened to a podcast from Endurance Planet talking about why it's a bad idea to try to run through plantar fasciitis. And I was sufficiently tired this afternoon that I really needed to lay down and take a nap. So - no run for me today. And honestly it was probably best that I keep giving my foot a break from running, especially since I'm planning to run both days this weekend.

Instead, I took the Buckingham Lake ducks some Thanksgiving cracked corn (which they greatly appreciated) and walked two laps around the pond. Between the crummy weather (it had stopped raining but was still cold) and the upcoming holiday there were very few people there. Always a nice plus!

The ducks were, as usual, very entertaining. I fed them at a spot where the water is a bit deeper, so there was a lot of dabbing and splashing (ducks tipping their butts up in the air, so their bills can reach the bottom) and even one female who apparently has been hanging out with diving ducks - she repeatedly went completely under water to get cracked corn that had drifted to the bottom.

JMH