Monday, October 20, 2014

EVERYTHING CHANGES...
Monday, October 20, 2014

I was reminded of this last week when I drove to Price Chopper in Colonie and found the old K-mart plaza completely fenced off because they were demolishing the building (which has been empty since K-mart closed its doors... but apparently the site is being redeveloped for a CarMax auto retail center.) A quick check online shows that apparently the East Greenbush store closed back in June, leaving us with only one local Kmart, way out in Rotterdam (and I suspect it's only a matter of time before they're gone... rent at the Rotterdam Square Mall can't be cheap.)

Even more surprising, when I drove past Mohawk Commons on my way home tonight I discovered that the Barnes & Noble there is gone - apparently they closed doors last June. I'd always wondered how the company justified having two stores within a few miles of each other... apparently they are no longer doing so.

Kmart vanishing is more of a nostalgia thing than anything else - I don't shop there all that often (and even less, now that it's a 30 min drive to get to the nearest store.) But I find the loss of any book store a great sadness.

JMH