Friday, October 24, 2014

FINALLY - A RUN!
5.1 Mile Run at Buckingham Pond
Friday, October 24, 2014

Thanks in part to my bout of the flu (and subsequent relapse) I've run exactly twice in the last 4 weeks, for a total of a little over 7 miles. Which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding the Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon in two days, especially now that they have a time cutoff at 5 3/4 miles...

Since I wasn't sure how my legs would respond, I decided to run at Buckingham Pond... it's a very short drive to get there and easily adaptable for a variety of distances, since the loop is 0.7-0.9 miles, depending on what paths you take - and expandable well beyond that if you venture onto the side streets. Of course, the drawback is the potential boredom factor, since you're essentially running in circles over and over again.

Didn't burn up the path, but overall it felt pretty good... I probably could have kept going but it was getting dark and I didn't think it made sense to overdo it the first time back. Not that I doubted it, but there's no question I can finish the six mile course on Sunday, and I'm fairly sure I can finish the half marathon too (though that will no doubt hurt) - if I make that time cutoff, which is by no means certain.

JMH