Saturday, January 09, 2016

ALWAYS PUT FRESH BATTERIES IN THE HEADLAMP...!
8.7 Mile Run on the Appalachian Trail (South Egremont to Sheffield)

Saturday, January 9, 2016

I've been wanting to get down the the AT between South Egremont and Sheffield for a couple of weeks, so when this morning's snowshoe race was rescheduled (no snow, and apparently the organizers didn't want to hold a trail race) and the temperatures were supposed to be in the mid-40's, it seemed like a good opportunity. Unfortunately, for a bunch of reasons I ended up getting a late start, which meant I'd probably be running at least a couple of miles back to the car in the dark. But that's what headlamps are for, right?

I took it really easy on the way out, so that I was sure I'd have some energy left in my legs for the run back. Stopped just before Route 7 - I would have like to have kept going all the way to the Housatonic, but between the impending sunset and not having done much running for the past two weeks, that didn't seem like a good plan. I did get a treat at the turnaround... first a hawk flew up from its perch on on the bales of hay sitting in the field that the AT runs through, and then a kingfisher swooped around for a bit, chattering away (I suspect both were miffed that I was there.)

I pushed more on the way back, trying to get as much done as possible before switching on the light. Unfortunately, I had to break out the light when I re-entered the woods just after crossing Sheffield-Egremont road (the site of the Shay's Rebellion monument and a parking area for trail users.) At first I thought the light seemed dim because it hadn't gotten really dark yet, but it quickly became clear that the batteries were weak and getting weaker. My own fault - I used that light for a run three weeks ago and should have put fresh batteries in before leaving the house (or at least packed a spare set.) With the light dim I did more walking than running, but at least I made it almost to Route 41 before the light died completely. Fortunately, swapping out two of the batteries for the ones in my camera helped, though it was clear the light was still weak... I ended up doing the last mile and a half with it on its lowest setting (or even shut off, for one stretch where the trail is out in the open.) Fortunately it lasted all the way back to the car... I could have followed the trail in the dark, but it would have been very slow going.

Despite the light issues, I still managed to do the return trip in 10-12 minutes less than the run out. A definite plus considering my otherwise glacially slow pace.

JMH