Tuesday, August 23, 2016

END-TO-END-TO-END, Year 1
20.8 Mile Ride Through the Corning Preserve, Schuyler Flatts, Watervliet, Green Island, and Van Schaick Island
Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A little more of the Erie Canalway Trail done... and I rode on some streets I haven't seen in a long time and along a stretch of trail that I didn't even know existed, including a re-decked railroad bridge, over one of the places where the Mohawk River flows into the Hudson. For the most part traffic was light through Watervliet and Green Island - overall, the on-street stretches went very smoothly.

The geese and turtles that Ann and I saw a week or so ago at Van Schaick Pond were nowhere to be seen today... and unfortunately the construction tearing up a chunk of the woods near the pond has advanced significantly. From all the excavating they're doing I suspect some sort of housing is going in, probably more condos like they've built closer to the river.

After years of construction in the meadow near the I90 bridge, it's great to see open fields again. But the Corning Preserve still has mainly proximity going for it... I87 running just to the west is noisy, annd there's a lot of buckling in the pavement through the Watervliet section.

JMH