Monday, January 02, 2017

WORKING HARD TO GO SLOW
13.2 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, January 2, 2017

Almost no clear stretches on the bike path between Schenectady and Rotterdam Junction... but tons of ice with a little snow on top. The fat bike handled it all no problem, but it does make for very slow going... not to mention pedaling a 40 lb bike over snow and ice gives the legs a heck of a workout.

Had two people ask about the bike, guess they're still a novelty.

I briefly thought I might ride the whole stretch from SCCC to the Junction, but I turned around before heading down the hill to the playing fields... legs were definitely feeling the miles and I didn't enjoy the thought of pedaling back up that hill.

I may need to look into a smaller chain ring, since with the one I've got I can only ride in the lowest three gears. Unfortunately I'm not sure they make chain rings much smaller...

Despite my grumbling about how much work it is to ride, it's still something of a torturous pleasure to be able to ride places where previously I would have had to wait until a major thaw to clear the path. 

JMH