Thursday, March 23, 2017

21 Mile Ride Through Schodack Island State Park & Along Rt 9J
Thursday, March 23, 2017

Not as bad as yesterday but still pretty chilly for late March - and the headwind on the way back was a pain. Schodack Island was pretty quiet when I got there, slightly busier when I returned. Traffic on 9J was light, and I suspect most riders would say it's flat with some rolling sections... what can I say, they felt like hills to me! Made it all the way down to the Swyer Preserve, and on the way back did a short stretch up to Castleton-on-the-Hudson. Back in the park I noticed that the camping loops were plowed, so I rode both of them and ended up with an additional mile and a half of easy riding.

Spotted was I think is an eagle's nest on the shore of Schodack Island from 9J - there were a couple of large birds soaring nearby but the angle and brightness of the Sun made it extremely difficult to get decent pictures, since I could barely see the camera screen. What I did manage to get looks like an immature bald eagle to me...



Since I'll be heading out of town tomorrow no more riding until at least next Monday... at this rate, March is going to turn out to be my least productive month on the bike, which is ironic considering that in theory it should be warmer than it was in January and February (nope) with most of the snow gone (nope) plus I have two weeks off and can actually get out during the day instead of after work. Maybe next week will be better... or next month...

 JMH