Wednesday, March 15, 2017

STILL A MESS...
2.9 Mile Walk Along Snow-Clogged Streets
Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Spent about an hour this morning unburying my car to the point where I should be able to get it out if I decide to drive to work tomorrow instead of walking. I definitely need to get back to doing some upper body work. All told I'd guess we got somewhere right around 2 feet of snow, and if the long-term forecast is correct we don't have any warm sunny days coming up any time soon to melt it all, so I suspect it's going to hang around for a while. Bleah!
 
Most of the sidewalks around here still aren't cleared, so when I went out this afternoon I ended up walking in the road a lot initially - not as pleasant with the increased traffic today, especially given how fast some of the morons were driving.  My first stop was the Post Office, and thankfully once I got over by Main Street I had sidewalks to walk on most of the way. Along the way I was surprised to hear and then see a pair of pileated woodpeckers knocking away on a tree, right on Main Street. Then again, I once saw a turkey a couple of blocks from here and years ago the DEC had to remove a black bear from a tree about a mile or so away, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

More hopping on and off the sidewalk as I went from the Post Office to Price Chopper (sorry, "Market 32") to pick up something for dinner. One thing that became very clear is that the side streets (like the one I live on) have received the least plowing and are real mess, with both packed and churned-up snow (plus the snow people are pushing off their vehicles into the street, idiots!) I saw numerous cars stuck and helped push one out of the patch of snow that had it spinning the wheels (and convinced the driver to go a different way, since she probably would have gotten stuck again 100 feet down the street.) Hopefully the city will do something about that during the upcoming snow emergency.

I took the unusual (for me) route of Madison Ave to get home, reasoning that St Rose would have their sidewalks cleared fairly well, and I was right - it only got messy when I headed back to my street, where I ended up walking in the road again. 

I would be happy to be heading to Rochester for a few days if not for the fact that they also got 2 feet of snow - there's no escaping it! Guess I'll be packing the snowshoes and skis which I barely used over the past two winters, and running mostly on pavement for the time being.

JMH