Friday, May 19, 2017

BABY GEESE, BABY BLACKBIRDS
1.4 Mile Walk at Buckingham Pond
Friday, May 19, 2017

During the day today I received the following email:

There has been recent incident at the Buckingham Lake/Pond regarding the geese population. There has been confirmed sightings of an unknown person killing the geese that reside at the pond. I do realize the geese may be a social nuisance but still this action is unacceptable.  What I am asking is to keep a diligent observation towards any one who is in close proximity of these animals.
****Possible suspect sightings is a unknown white male dressing in a blue uniform operating a red newer model pick up with the lettering "DGS Wildlife" on the side. If you see this suspect or vehicle at or about the park area notify the police immediately ****
Note: Illegally killing  Canadian Geese is in violation of Federal Fish/Wildlfe and NYS EnCon Law   
Any questions email me directly
Officer James Brooks
Albany Police Department CSU

I have to wonder if this is what happened to the female that was nesting and then apparently abandoned her nest. 

When I got to the pond this evening there were signs all over near the parking lot. While it would be great if they'd catch the guy, my guess is all the attention will serve its secondary purpose and get him to desist.

While walking around the pond I found that at least one pair of geese managed to hatch eggs this year - they've got eight goslings that they're herding around. I also had a pair of blackbirds hovering and scolding me at the eastern end of the pond, and a with a little work I finally found their nest, very well concealed, with a couple of baby blackbirds who look like they hatched recently.

JMH