Saturday, December 14, 2019

7.6 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Saturday, December 14, 2019


Yesterday was definitely the better day to ride, though more of the path was clear today. The rain today was more of an everpresent mist than distinct water droplets, and even after sunset there was enough light to see the fog rising up off the river.

I was a bit worried at first - sometimes when I have a lot on my mind running is the perfect way to distract myself, and other times I find myself thinking about whatever it is the entire time I'm running. Today started out more of the latter, to the point where I almost thought I'd turn around after a mile and a half - but eventually I found my groove.

I ended up running all the way to the intersection of the bike path and the road running through the Colonie Water Treatment Facility - it even looked like the path had been plowed from Forts Ferry to where I turned around (if so, I hope they keep that up all winter!) Along the way I saw three deer and several bunnies.

I had originally planned to stop once I got back to Lions Park, but I had less than a mile left at that point to get to 7.5 miles, so I decided to push on and go a little further. My legs definitely didn't appreciate that, nor did my guts, which had been griping on and off since I turned around when the plowed path ran out. Sometimes winter running on the bike path would be much easier if Niskayuna and Colonie kept the bathrooms open.

Tomorrow should bring my first time on snowshoes in 10 months. That's going to hurt...

JMH