Wednesday, April 08, 2020

WINDY!
20.2 Mile Ride on the Erie Canalway Trail (Fort Hunter to Randall)
Wednesday, April 8, 2020


I know, why would I drive all the way to Fort Hunter to ride when I have plenty of options a lot closer. Part of the motivation was that I wanted to stop by the Park n Ride where I parked last night and see if there was any sign of my Garmin bike computer. (Spoilers: nope, not that I expected there would be. If I left it on the roof or trunk, there's no telling when it actually slid off, given how long it's been if it was in an obvious location someone likely would have already seen it and picked it up, and the chances of spotting it from the car are slim  - it's only a little larger than half a dozen quarters stacked on top of each other.)

I also wanted to see what the newly (to me) paved trail is like (the entire trail through Montgomery County is now paved. It's definitely easier riding, though that was hard to tell for the first half of the ride, since I was riding into a very brisk wind. But I kept telling myself that meant the ride back would be a lot easier and I was definitely right. I even considered riding for a while longer past Fort Hunter... but then thought about having to finish the ride fighting the wind to get back to the car, and decided 20 miles was plenty for today.

The next few days are supposed to be colder (and right now the forecast for next week calls for plenty of rain showers) so I'm glad I got in another ride tonight.

JMH