Sunday, July 10, 2005

KEEP THE BIKE TOOLS HANDY...
45 Mile Bike Ride
Sunday, July 10, 2005

...because they aren't much use if you don't have them with you!!!!! (I know that probably seems obvious to everyone, but apparently it wasn't so obvious to me.)

Another gorgeous summer afternoon, so I went out for a long ride today, over into Bethlehem, New Salem, Altamont, Voorheesville... very tough going at first (lots of uphill, especially coming out of Bethlehem before heading over toward New Salem and Altamont) but was really getting into it as I left Voorheesville heading back toward the Helderberg Escarpment (I was going to loop back around in an attempt to rack up some additional miles...) And right around 30 miles into the ride, without warning, my seat bolt snapped and the seat pretty much fell off.

This happened to me 7 or 8 years ago, at which point I put a spare seat bolt in my tool kit... unfortunately, I redid my tool kit this spring and the seat bolt (as well as the allen wrench I'd need to install it) remained in a bag on my living room table.

So after venting my frustration at the gods of cycling and idiot cyclists, I managed to tie the seat on with a stap from my Camelback (so that it would not fall off... it was not even remotely secure) and then spent 15 miles precariously balanced for coasting and pedaling the flats and downhills, and walking any uphills, all the way back home. Fortunately it's mostly downhill from Voorheesville to my house. But there are a several parts of my anatomy that are going to be very sore tomorrow.

Oh, well. It could have been worse. At least I didn't have to walk 15 miles to get home. I'd still be out there...

Anyway, just thought everyone would get a kick out of this one.

JMH