Sunday, January 22, 2006

Season of the (NO) SnōShū, weekend #4
Mendon Winterfest 10K Snowshoe Trail Race
Saturday, January 21, 2006
(MISSED DUE TO ILLNESS)

Mendon Winterfest Snowshoe races info

Well, the title says it all, doesn’t it? After a week of rain and warm weather, the trails at Mendon were fairly snow-free, so this was going to be a 10K trail run. Unfortunately, the past week also saw me sick as the proverbial dog, and though I was well on the road to recovery by Saturday morning, I made the call to stay in Albany and catch up on all the work I was buried under due to being sick and brain dead. It was a tough call to make, especially in light of the weather forecast for heavy rain during the race (how can I miss a trail run in the rain???) but I think it was the right decision. As I've said in previous posts, one thing I've definitely learned from doing races is that sometimes things just don't go the way I've planned!

Ann, sweetie that she is, drove over to Mendon and picked up my T-shirt for me, and confirmed that it was cold and pouring rain (which could have been some fairly torturous fun… oh, well. There’s always next year.) Apparently she also ate my bowl of post-race chili - well, she definitely earned it.

I’m going to try to get in a cold bike ride today, in preparation for the Lake Effect Snowshoe Duathlon next Sunday (which includes 12 miles of riding the roads around Webster Park, in addition to two sets of 2 mile snowshoeing loops. With luck there’ll be enough snow to actually snowshoe – it’s hard to improve when you can’t practice!)

For now, though – back to that work I’m slowly digging myself out from under!

JMH

UPDATED - chilly bike ride


Actually, it wasn't too bad until the end, when my feet started to get cold. Did a fairly nice 19 miles out and back along the Mohawk Hudson Bikeway from Schenectady County Community College to just past Rotterdam Junction. Saw very few other folks, and worked the kinks out of my legs after almost a week of inactivity. Had to walk around one or two patches of ice, and through one section where the path is closed due to major trail work along the river - looks like maybe there was a slide or something. All in all a pretty pleasant ride. If the weather is like this next Sunday I won't complain!

2006 racing totals
snowshoe – 3 miles, 59.5 min
running – 0 miles, 0 min
riding - 0 miles, 0 min