Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Year of Long Distance - Race#2
Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon
Saturday, May 20, 2006

Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon 2006 results
Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon info

Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon 2006 Photo Slideshow

So here I am, a year after running/riding my first duathlon, back at the Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon. Originally I wasn't leaning toward doing this race again - it was fun last year, but the multiple loops are a bit repetitive, and I wasn't expecting to get a lot of time on the bike, due to training for Nipmuck. But I wanted to get in a shorter race in May, prior to the marathon, and I also wanted to do some duathlons prior to the Pinnacle Challenge in October - so I signed up for the Spring Classic again. And as it approached, I found myself really looking forward to it.

The Spring Classic saw some changes this year, in particular record registration levels (170 competitors half a week before, over 200 total on the day of the race.) This has the folks at Fleet Feet Sports and Yellowjacket Racing very excited, but it also created some logistical problems which they resolved by rearranging the course a bit. In the end I don't think that affected me in the slightest, other than adding to the overall feeling of anticipation.

The latter part of the week leading up to the race was one of the coldest I've ever experienced for May, and (of course!) rain was forecast for Saturday morning. In fact, I woke up in the middle of the night and it was pouring (great...) and when I got up to get ready, it was still raining pretty steadily (what fun...) But not long after heading over to beautiful Mendon Ponds park, the rain let up, and all we had was cold and wind. LOTS of wind.

So I checked in, and was pleased to have two of the volunteers remember me from last year (guess the guy who comes in last stands out!) Geared up in tights, a long-sleeved shirt, and a fleece vest - figured I'd be warm running, but I didn't want to totally freeze riding. And then hung around as the crowd built and they got ready to set us loose!



First run went well, though at 2 miles I was barely warmed up and it was over. Averaged 11 minute miles, which shows just how effective my plan was to "take it easy" in preparation for the marathon. Hah.








Hopped on the bike, and set off for a very chilly 10 mile ride into some pretty good wind gusts. Then it was back for another mile, which was over before I realized it - good thing, too, because the bike-run transitions always kill my legs. The 2nd ride actually felt a bit warmer, though the effects of not-enough-riding this spring were clear as I struggled through the last few miles.






And I was definitely warm on the final run - ended the race with my vest unzipped and my sleeves rolled up. Felt like I was barely moving, but I made pretty consistent time on all three runs, and decent time overall - 2 hr 31 min 41 seconds overall. On average I think I did better running this year (much more consistent than last year) and went a bit slower on the bike (no surprise, given my lack of riding and the headwinds.) But I had a lot of fun, and my work for the marathon showed in that I wasn't totally dead at the end. I even had enough energy to walk the running course and take some pictures!









So I'm definitely glad I did the Spring Classic again. Don't know if the timing will be right for the Fall Classic, but if it is - I'll be looking forward to it!

JMH

Next up: NIPMUCK.

2006 event totals
snowshoe – 3 miles, 59.5 min
running – 28.1 miles, 7 hr 22 min
riding - 32.4 miles, 2 hr 32 min