Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Return to the Plotter Kill Preserve
Tuesday, July 11, 2006

some info on the Plotter Kill Preserve

map of the Plotter Kill Preserve

Back in March I ran for the first time at the Plotter Kill Preserve in Rotterdam, and found it very challenging. In my opinion, the trails there are the closest to gnarly Berkshire trails in the Albany area (though there are some at Thacher which come close...) and the initial sections involve some very steep climbs up and down. So there was no doubt in my mind that I had to go back this summer!

I headed into the preserve and started out on a trail I'd never taken before - the ominously named "Highland Trail" (!) My initial impression was flashbacks to the Greylock Death March, since the first 3/4 of a mile was pretty much non-stop climbing. Plotter Kill distinguished itself from Greylock, though, due to the fact that much of the trail was either deep mud or under water (I've never seen so many frogs jumping out of my way during a run!) Apparently it also doesn't see much use - many sections were fairly overgrown. But after a while it leveled off and I had a comfortable run through the woods to the edge of the ravine leading to the third waterfall.

The climb down into the ravine and up the other side was one of the more challenging parts of the run. But the trail along the northern side of the gorge levels off after that, and the running was good! Of course, all too quickly (OK, half an houror so later) I was carefully picking my way down to and across the creek, and then back up the other side - and the 3/4 mile climb to the south rim. While I did better at that than back in March, I still walked a good deal of the way up, and then spent a while recovering... but before too long the running was good again, with some great views down the power line right-of-ways (maybe that makes up for the ankle-deep mud at those right-of-ways...) Then it was time to descend to the creek again, and I decided to once again try a trail I was unfamiliar with. THAT was a mistake... I ended up picking my way along a slippery, rocky "trail" along the creek and wrenched both knees twice when I slipped and fell.

Once I finally made my way back to the north rim, I decided to only do one loop, and headed back out on the trail I'd run on the way in. Passed two hikers who commented both on the amount of water I was carrying and the fact that I seemed to be outrunning the 'skeeters (they caught up with me whenever I stopped to walk, unfortunately) and once again hiked down into the ravine and up the other side. When I had almost reached the parking lot, I decided I didn't want to end the evening just yet, so I ran a short loop along the south rim back to the parking lot.

Took 2 1/2 hours this time (as opposed to 3 back in March) though I also ran a bit further (probably an extra mile or so.) Not a phenomenal improvement - but I did run a lot more than previously, and was still feeling pretty good at the end of the day. I don't think I want to run there every week - it's a bit of a haul to get there, and there aren't many trails to choose from - but I definitely want to come back again.

(And maybe some day I can go there after a heavy rainfall and see the waterfalls in all their glory!)

JMH