Sunday, September 03, 2006

THE SUMMER WINDS DOWN...
Sunday, September 3, 2006

...not with a bang, but with a whimper (broken ribs do that to me...)

THINGS I'M GLAD I DID

  • time spent with Ann - there's never enough, when you live 230 miles apart
  • running Summer Solstice at Minnewaska, Indian Ladder at Thacher, Forge the Gorgeous at Filmore Glen, and Race the Train at North Creek
  • running/hiking the Greylock Death March
  • hiking at Taughannock Falls and Watkins Glen - fantastic!
  • running at Thacher, Mendon, Five Rivers, the Pine Bush, the Genesee Valley Greenway, Genesee Valley Park, and the Schenectady-Rotterdam bike path
  • riding the Pine Bush trails, the Mohawk-Hudson bike path, the Erie Canal Path, and the Old Erie Canal path
  • teaching karate
  • read some good books (and some mediocre ones)

THINGS I WISH I'D DONE

  • spent more time with Ann - there's never enough, when you live 230 miles part
  • talked with/written to my friends more
  • run at October Mountain, Beartown, Mount Washington, Keuka Outlet, and Peebles Island
  • run more
  • ridden more
  • ridden the trails at Minnewaska
  • run the Finger Lakes Fifties 25K
  • run the Savoy 20 Mile Trail Race
  • trained more (karate and iaido)
  • written more (those two books are never going to get written, at this rate)

THE THING I WISH I HADN'T DONE

  • well, duh - crashed my bike and broken various bits, demolishing my fall marathoning plans

I read recently that summers seem to go by faster and faster as we get older because they represent a decreasing fraction of our total life... for a 10 year old, one summer is 1/40 of his life, but for me its currently 1/164 of my life. I'm not sure about that, but this one sure seemed to fly. I definitely know that as long as I continue to have many things I want to do, there will never be enough time to do it all.

But I'm going to keep trying to do as much of it as I can... (especially once these blasted ribs heal up!)

JMH