Thursday, December 21, 2006

5 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Thursday, December 21, 2006

Headed over to the Columbia Circle section and ran the back perimeter, plus the Kaikout Kill Barrens loop. Felt decent overall, though I still found the hills to be a bit tough and my right hip/quad was definitely sore afterwards.

Still, it was MUCH better than my truncated run Monday night, when I stopped after 3 miles and 40 minutes because my left shin was cramping up!

Guess I just need to take it slow and easy and gradually build back up to longer distances. After all, I have until the end of March to work up to 20 miles, and the end of May to work up to the Nipmuck Marathon!

The Zenix headlamp worked great - I had it on the brightest mode for over an hour and the batteries seem fine. Don't know if I had a weak set the first night I used it, or if the new rechargeables I'm trying out just work better for this purpose but - I'm pleased with the result. The light seems a bit dimmer than my old halogen headlamp, but the beam is more tightly focussed and still provides plenty of light for what I'm doing with it.

On another positive note - it's the winter solstice! From here on the days get longer! Wahoo!

JMH