Sunday, January 21, 2007

2 Hours of Snowshoeing at Black Creek Park
Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wanted to spend some time with Ann, so instead of going out for a run we packed up the snowshoes and headed to Black Creek Park to enjoy the snow and the chilly weather.

Conditions were not ideal (only about 6" of snow at best) but the park was gorgeous - everything covered with snow and ice.



Ann used my Dion's, since the last time we went out snowshoeing her Redfeather's bothered her hip. I have to admit, I wasn't crazy about her Redfeathers - the cleats are fairly large (1.5 to 2" long) which made them somewhat uncomfortable in the shallow snow. Tried running for a few short stretches - didn't work too well. It definitely made me appreciate my Dion's!



We found a new trail (well... new to me, but I haven't been at Black Creek for almost a year.) It looped through the woods off one trail, and then in the other direction skirted the edge of the swamp and came out on a different trail. It was touch snowshoeing in spots - rough footing and not enough snow to even everything out - but a cool trail all the same. I definitely need to run it sometime.

Got back to the car, took off the snowshoes, and found an unpleasant surprise - the front cleat on one had snapped off sometime during our walk! (I guess those shoes need deeper snow...) So now I have to contact Redfeather to see if they'll send a replacement cleat. I'm also thinking of getting Ann a pair of Dion's - mine didn't bother her, and they're clearly a better product.

JMH