Saturday, February 03, 2007

BRRRR.... FROZE TOES....
10 Mile Ride Along the Corning Preserve Bike Path
Saturday, February 3, 2007

I recently ordered a set of fleece-lined neoprene "booties" to wear while riding in cold weather and possibly while snowshoeing... the idea being to keep my toes dry and warm(er). Unfortunately, the pair I ordered was far too small to fit over my running and riding shoes, so they've gone back to Performance Bicycle to be exchanged for a larger pair (hopefully large enough...) I could have defnitely used them during my ride today.

The path was mostly plowed, so riding was fairly easy. Once again I ended up with a headwind on the way back, which made a cold ride even colder. Despite the fact that I only went 10 miles I didn't feel the slightest temptation to keep riding... by the time I got back to the car my main interest was in getting some warmth to my toes before frostbite set in.

Guess that's what I get for saying "it's not all that bad" when various people grumbled about how cold it was earlier today! Perhaps I should have gone out on my skis instead... only a couple inches of snow, but it was probably ski-able.

Right now word for tomorrow is snowshoe race... I'm taking both snowshoes and regular trail shoes. Should be fun regardless!

JMH