Tuesday, March 27, 2007

SLOW, "EASY" RECOVERY RUN
5.5 Miles in the Albany Pine Bush
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Well, it was slow, but I don't know about easy...

The weather was just too nice today to not go for a short, slow recovery run, so after running some errands I headed over to the Pine Bush to do a perimeter run. I'd heard some of the local riders were going over there tonight, so I figured it couldn't be too bad... right?

Maybe in another week or two, if we keep having warm days, it won't be too bad. Today most of the trails were under either ice or water (or both) with 6-8" of snow in some spots. There were a few sections that were clear and relatively dry but most of the clear areas were very muddy. The worst mud was in the new "desert" where the vegetation was cleared for habitat restoration last November and December... at one point the mud sucked my shoe off!

Still, it was really nice to be out in the woods running on a warm day, even if part of the time I was running over ice and through ice-cold water. I'm really looking forward to being able to run the trails more as the weather continues to improve.

I just hope the Northern Nipmuck course in a little under two weeks is a lot clearer than the Pine Bush was today!

JMH