Thursday, March 22, 2007

SPRING IS HERE!
10.6 Mile Run in the Heldeberg foothills
Thursday, March 22, 2007

Let's hope it sticks around... yesterday was cool but gorgeously sunny, too bad I spent much of the day driving back from Rochester. Today was even warmer, so this afternoon I headed over to Five Rivers to do some sort of variation of my run from two weekends ago.

What a great day for a run... maybe it was the novelty of running in shirtsleeves and shorts, but the running was good today. Maybe too good... instead of being smart and doing a short, easy run, I headed up into the hills and actually extended the route of my previous run a bit. Probably not the smartest thing to do three days before Eastern States, but it was just too nice a day.

At least, right until the last 15 minutes or so, when the cold front finally pushed its way in and it rained for a few minutes. Fortunately, I had a light fleece vest in my waistpack, so I stayed fairly warm.

There was something very odd about running in warm weather gear (and working up a good sweat doing it) while looking across fields of foot-deep snow. But the rain over the next two days will probably do a lot of get rid of that... maybe before too much longer I can actually hit the trails again. Without snowshoes!

JMH