Monday, April 16, 2007

10.7 Mile Run Around Albany
Monday, April 16, 2007

Finally got off my backside and out for a run. It started out a nicer evening than I anticipated, with a break in the rain. Actually, while we had some light drizzle at various points during my run, nothing even came close to the steady rain of earlier in the day. So no complaints there!

Found a nice little park not far from my place - Buckingham Lake. A little pond with a playground, wetlands, and a dirt path about 3/4 of a mile long around the perimeter. It was so nice to be running on a natural surface that I went around it 1 1/2 times before heading back out onto the streets and sidewalks. Also said hi to the geese (5), a duck, and a muskrat that was industriously making his way through the water (he submerged every time he saw me, so I'm guessing he wasn't as happy to see me as I was to see him.)

Ran down New Scotland all the way to the Normanskill (where the sidewalk ends) and got a brief glimpse of how much it's flooded its banks... I'm very glad I don't live down there! One house looked like it might have water right up to its foundations.

Overall, a decent run, but one that hurt a bit more than almost 11 miles should at this point... I need to get back into a regular schedule of long runs if I'm to have any hope of completing NIPMUCK.

JMH