Tuesday, April 24, 2007

RUNNING IN THE WOODS AGAIN!!!!!
16.5 Miles in the Pine Bush
Tuesday, April 24, 2007

All I can say is... almost 4 hours running trails! Pavement blows, trails rock!

Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would... granted, the Pine Bush trails are pretty tame, but the last long run I did was 2 1/2 weeks ago at Northern Nipmuck. The first 13-14 miles went pretty well, with the last loop going slowly due to my fading legs and running

Wildlife encounters continue... a turkey and two deer early on, then after it got dark several rabbits and lots of wolf spiders (their eyes sparkle blue-green in the light of my headlamp.) Lots of birds (including a noisy woodpecker that I heard but didn't see.) And the spring peepers are out in force!

The sky overhead during my last loop was spectacular - stars everywhere and a crescent moon. If my legs hadn't been so tired I would have stopped and just stood there looking up.

With luck this Sunday I can head to someplace wild and struggle through 19 miles or so...

JMH