Sunday, October 28, 2007

"TO ULTRA (attempt) or NOT TO ULTRA (attempt) ?"
...And the Verdict Is...
Sunday, October 28, 2007

... a no-brainer - I've run three races of half marathon length or more in the past three weekends, and had a difficult time with all three... if I attempted the Mendon 50k, I would most likely make it to 30k and be done, well-done, downright black and crispy. I haven't the slightest prayer of making it the entire 50k, unless I'm willing to walk the last 12 miles or so... and that's not fair to the race volunteers, and it's not how I want to do a 50k.

So yesterday I sent in my Mendon trail runs app for the 20k race. And during the 2nd half of Hairy Gorilla today, I was kind of thinking I should have chosen the 10k!

By the way, seven folks registered their opinions on the sidebar poll I ran for two weeks. 5 voted for the 20k, 2 for go long and see when I crash and burn, and no one for my other options (I was kind of hoping my readers would convince me to stay home and relax that day!) Which just goes to show that 28.6% of you are crazier than I am, and 61.4% of you are smarter than I am (you figured out the smart thing to do fairly quickly, I had to run three tough races to get it through my thick skull.) Of course, you may all be smarter than I am (or not... no one voted for stay home and relax) and we're probably all equally crazy... after all, I'm writing this when I should be doing something productive, and you're reading it when you could be doing something interesting!

JMH