Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 - Looking Back
Monday, December 31, 2007

First the easy stuff -




I ran approximately 927.6 miles, rode approximately 1189.6 miles, and snowshoed approximately 62.9 miles.

I ran in 6 snowshoe races (including a snowshoe duathlon), 4 road races, and 20 trail races, and competed in 4 running/cycling duathlons. Altogether, I ran 299.1 miles in 69 hr 23 min, rode 72.2 miles in 5 hr 15 min, and snowshoed 35.7 mi in 11 hr 30 min in organized events. In the process I ran in all 6 of the New England states (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, & VT) plus NY... just under 1/7 of the states in the USA.

I made a fairly strong comeback after being injured for much of the fall of 2006, and hit a number of PR paces racing this year - my first 10 min pace at the Harborfest 10k in June, and then a series of increasingly faster-paced sprints during the fall duathlons - 9:30 for the runs at the Mohawk Towpath Duathlon and 9:20 for the Black Diamond Offroad Duathlon in mid-October - and wrapping up with a PR 8:42 mile at the RT Turkey 5 Miler in late November.

I completed two marathons - the Nipmuck Trail Marathon (admittedly, I walked the last 7.5 miles or so) and the Adirondack Marathon (I was able to keep to my run/walk strategy for the entire race, but definitely slowed down a lot during the last 8-10 miles.) I also completed the Western Mass Athletic Club's "long" trilogy (Greylock Half Marathon, Savoy 20 Mile, and Monroe Dunbar Brook 10.5 mile trail races) and the beautiful but grueling Ridgewalk & Run 14 mile race (the distance wasn't bad, but the hills were non-stop!)

Unfortunately, I ended up missing four races I'd preregistered for - the Muddy Moose 14 mile, the Mudslinger 5 mile, the Mendon 20k, and the Lil Rhody Run Around, for a variety of reasons. I also didn't make it to ultramarathoner status this year... maybe next year! I had hoped to break 1000 miles for the year and fell a bit short due to a major drop off in my training during late November and all of December. Again, maybe next year!

I also hiked a lot of miles and visited numerous parks and preserves and was blessed with being able to spend countless hours outdoors enjoying the glories of nature.

more to come...