Saturday, December 29, 2007

FIREWORKS & A WALK IN THE PARK
Albany WinterFestival Last Run 5k
Saturday, December 29, 2007

A while back I came up with the bright idea of signing Ann and me up for the Last Run 5k here in Albany. Since the race course winds through the holiday lights in Washington Park, I thought it would be a nice way for us to see the lights and get out for an hour or so of walking while we were here in Albany.

Ann wasn't thrilled with the idea, but since I'd preregistered us for the race she went along with it. We parked near the New York State Museum and ended up walking probably a little over a mile back and forth... first from the car to the check in under Empire State Plaza, then back to the car to drop off our windshirts and goodie bags, then back to the check in area to wait for the fireworks scheduled for just before the start of the 5k.

The fireworks were loud, bright, and colorful... I'm pretty sure breathing in the smoke from them wasn't the best way for a group of runners to get ready for the race, but they were still fairly impressive to watch... I don't think I've ever been quite that close to where a major fireworks show was being launched before (and I'm a bit surprised that they were setting them off that close to crowd!) Then Mayor Jerry had a few words, and off the runners went.

Ann and I walked up the hill behind them with a few other people who seemed to be planning on more walking than running... though many of those folks picked up the pace once they reached the top of the hill. We hit the entrance to the park at about 20 minutes, and then spent another 20 walking briskly through the lights. It's a fairly nice display that's put on each year as a fundraiser for the Police Athletic League... Ann and I drove through a couple of years ago and enjoyed the show, even though it's not quite as elaborate as the Lights on the Lake. A major section is patterned after fairy tales and nursery rhymes, so we had some fun figuring out what each character or scene was.

Toward the end we were re-routed (I think) because the park had re-opened to cars driving through to see the lights, and then we hustled back on the sidewalks to see if we could make the finish before it shut down. Ann's knees and legs were giving her some grief (we've walked longer distances before, but not at that pace) and my feet were a bit sore from a poor choice of socks. Made it back to the Plaza in about an hour, but they had taken down the finish line so we ended up finishing unofficially.

After that we snagged some water and oranges from the post-race "party", and then made our way back to the car. Ann had me take her picture commemorating her first ever 5k... somehow I don't think I'll be convincing her to walk another one any time soon.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll run the 5k and afterwards we'll do the sensible thing and drive through the park to see the lights. But sore feet and sore legs aside... it was a nice night for a walk.

JMH