Sunday, December 30, 2007

A LITTLE BIT O' HIKING
Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center
Thacher Park Hop Field
Whitbeck Memorial Grove
Sunday, December 30, 2007

I knew I wanted to get outside for a while today, but after last night's 5k walking adventure I didn't think Ann would be too keen on any strenuous hiking... so I searched through my local trail guides (in particular, the fantastic Natural Areas of Albany County book published by ECoS, the Environmental Clearinghouse of Schenectady) to see what I could find that would be interesting but relatively easy.

Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center

The first place we went was the Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center, which is named in honor of the donor of the land for both the John Boyd Thacher and Thompson Lake State Parks. The Nature Center opened in 2001 and hosts a variety of programs for all ages, as well as having ongoing displays about the local flora and fauna and even geology. I thought one of the coolest parts was a model of the part of the Helderberg Escarpment that contains the parks.



After checking out the Nature Center we headed out for a short walk on the trails. I found the footing the be difficult enough that I grabbed a pair of snowshoes out of the car... though I ended up taking them off for the walk back, since we ran out of snow!







Thacher Park Hop Field

On our way back from the Nature Center we stopped at Hop Field picnic area so I could show Ann the waterfall I discovered at the end of my run the day before Thanksgiving. It was just a short walk from the parking lot, but while we were there we passed a group of snowshoers and also a fellow on XC skiis.



Whitbeck Memorial Grove

The Whitbeck Memorial Grove is a small Nature Conservancy preserve in New Scotland that I've passed numerous times while running or driving to and from Thacher, but never stopped at. It was originally a farm when purchased by Andrew Whitbeck in 1883; his granddaughter left the land to the Nature Conservancy in 1971.





We walked on the mile-long loop trail that took us first through the woods, then across a meadow and power line right-of-way before heading back into the woods again. I used my snowshoes for the first half of the walk, then the snow cover got so sporadic that I took them off and carried them.





At one point we spotted a Pileated Woodpecker flitting through the trees. By the time we reached the end of the loop it had gotten dark enough that it was tough to see much of anything!

A small park with a relatively short trail, and I suspect it gets fairly muddy at times... but it might make a nice short diversion from the road the next time I'm running out that way.

JMH