Monday, January 21, 2008

Feathered Friends
Monday, January 21, 2008

I had planned to leave for Albany not long after Ann went to work... but between getting comfortable finishing up a book I was reading and watching the birds out the front window, my drive back ended up delayed by a bit.





The birds definitely like the new feeder... at various points yesterday and today, I saw four juncos, four chickadees, three titmouses, three bluejays, two cardinals, two downy woodpeckers, and one nuthatch. The chickadees and the nuthatch were particularly bold, and readily zipped down to the feeder to grab food and fly off while I was standing outside not more than six feet away.





Yesterday we were also treated to a sight that I find amusing and that Ann finds very aggravating - a grey squirrel made his daily visit to the feeder and proceeded to undergo a variety of contortions and acrobatics to get seeds from it. I can understand Ann's frustration - the feed is for the birds, not the squirrels - but as long as the birds don't go without, I don't mind an occasional visit from a hungry squirrel.



JMH