Thursday, January 10, 2008

Yes, I'm Nuts
Thursday, January 10, 2008

Not that anyone who knows me (or reads this blog regularly) needs to be told that...

I'd been toying with the idea of doing one of the Pittsfield Snowshoe Races in Pittsfield, VT in early March. They offer three loop options - 6 miles (1 loop), 13 miles (2 loops), and 26 miles (4 loops.) I know I can do the 6 mile, short of it being the course from Hell, but I've never run more than 8 miles on snowshoes... so the half marathon looked like a challenging way to end my 2008 snowshoe season.

Laura Clark has an excellent article about snowshoe races in the January Adirondack Sports & Fitness magazine in which she mentions the Pittsfield races and all their cool bonuses (the post-race feed is a lobster and shrimp dinner, and the race giveway is a fleece vest.) Needless to say, that got me thinking about it even more.

It's pretty obvious where this is going, isn't it? After staring at the race web-site on and off for several days, this morning I submitted my registration and joined the 57 people who are currently pre-registered for the three races.

Looks like I've got some work to do between now and March 8!

JMH