Monday, February 18, 2008

7 Mile Run at Thacher Park
Monday, February 18, 2008

After a very lazy day yesterday (I skipped going to a snowshoe race in the morning and then waited long enough to get outdoors that the rain provided a good excuse to stay in) there was no question that I needed to get in a run today. Fortunately, I had the day off, so I was able to choose a location that I wouldn't typically get to in the winter, when I have to do most of my running at night. Thacher seemed like it would offer a nice combo of nature, solitude, and challenge, plus I haven't been there since late November... so the late afternoon found me making way way up to the Helderberg Escarpment.

This was one of those odd weather days... temperatures were unseasonably warm in the morning (high 50's) but during the afternoon a cold front started making its way into the area, resulting a very strong, chilly wind up on the Escarpment. Fortunately I planned ahead a bit and had enough warm clothing that I was able to do my run... I would have been in trouble if I'd tried to go out in shorts!

I decided to do what amounts to my short Thacher loop, along the Escarpment then up Paint Mine Rd to the trail along Beaver Dam Rd, looping down to the Hop Field trails through the woods and swamp. During the first half mile I hit all sorts of footing - bare ground, ankle deep snow, and ice. As I ran along the Escarpment I eventually hit an additional type of trail - the underwater type. Fortunately, it was early enough in the run that my feet had time to warm back up after being dunked in icy water!

I stopped at several points along the trail above the Indian Ladder Trail to take pictures of the waterfalls... there was a decent amount of water going over each thanks to yesterday's rain. Between the wind and the water I decided to skip the rest of the Escarpment trail and headed across the road. After a brief detour to check out the waterfalls at the Paint Mine picnic area, I headed up Paint Mine Road. I guess snowshoeing has had a positive effect, because I made it to the top without feeling like I was going to keel over!

One nice thing about being in the woods up on the hill - there was almost no wind! Made my way along the trails across the top of the ridge and then down into the swamp... lots of ice, but thanks to my screw shoes, that wasn't a problem. Actually, the worst footing was going down the steep hill to the swamp... there the ice was covered by a layer of slushy snow and it was tough for my shoes to get a grip.

The trail around the swamp was frozen in some spots and flooded in others, so footing was tricky but not too bad. From there it was pretty easy running , right up to the top of the long hill down to the Hop Field picnic area... that was a solid sheet of ice, and I had to pick my way down it fairly carefully. At the bottom I decided I wanted the fun to last a little longer and did an out-and-back along the XC ski trail over to the park maintenance buildings. Got back to the car just in time... as I was putting my gear away the Park Police and Park Ranger both pulled into the parking lot, probably to lock the gate. So I gave them a wave, hopped in the car without changing clothes or shoes, and said my farewells to the quiet pleasures of nature as I headed back to the noise and congestion of Albany.

JMH