Thursday, February 14, 2008

CRUNCH... CRUNCH... CRUNCH...
5.5 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Thursday, February 14, 2008

I managed to get over to the Pine Bush before the sun set, so I got some nice pictures of trees and bushes coated with ice, and also some nice shots of the sunset from Blueberry Hill West.

It was definitely a good evening for a run... the snow wasn't too deep (maybe two inches) and coated with a layer of ice, so it was noisy running... hence the "crunch... crunch... crunch..." because that's what I heard the whole time I was out there! Traction was pretty good in unbroken snow, but a little slippery when I was running on my own or other folks tracks. So it was definitely a decent workout!

In addition to running the main trail out and back, I also took the loop into the woods, which turned out to be very cool - other than some animals, I was the first one to be out there. Broke out my headlamp about halfway through the loop, then realized when I got back on the main trail that it was a lovely moonlit night... but kept using the headlamp because I didn't want to risk a fall.

All in all, a fun run on a great night, and not too bad considering all the time I've spent off my feet over the last week and a half.

Word also came down tonight that this weekend's snowshoe double-header (5 miles at Camp Saratoga in Wilton on Saturday, and 6 miles in the Dubuque State Forest in Hawley on Sunday) is looking good... I had originally planned to skip Sunday's race and go out to Rochester, but since their supposed to get lousy weather Sunday and Monday Ann has encouraged me to stay home. So it looks like I'll get 10-11 miles of snowshoeing in this weekend!

JMH