Saturday, March 01, 2008

A Short Hike at Five Rivers
Saturday, March 1, 2008

photo slideshow

By the time I got home last night, I was too tired and hungry to go for a run (not to mention it was getting late and I wanted to be up in time today to go to class.) So I decided to get in a short run after classes this morning... but by the time I finally left the karate school, that wasn't happening either. But as I ran several errands, the weather was just too good to go home and stay indoors... so after the last errand was done, I headed over to Five Rivers Environmental Education Center to at least go for a walk and spend some time outdoors.





When I arrive at Five Rivers it was sunny and in the high 30's/low 40's... but as I was driving there I could see the Helderberg Escarpment was getting hit with a snow squall, and by the time I was ready hit the trails, so was Five Rivers. That chilled things down considerably! I headed over to the Vlomankill Trail and walked along the creek. The snow was packed down from all the snowshoers and XC skiiers, so I had no trouble walking there. By the time I reached the double bridge, the storm was passing, the sun was starting to break through the clouds, and it was starting to warm up again! Definitely a weird weather day!





So I had fairly sunny weather for the 2nd part of the Vlomankill Trail loop, along the ridge overlooking the stream. I headed down to Fordham's Crossing and then walked down the access road, and was surprised to see several deer up among the trees on the hillside over the road. I crept along as quietly as I could, shooting pictures of them... there ended up being five altogether, though I never managed to get all five in one picture. I had a great view of them as they crossed the Birdwatchers Path and then walked along the edge of the clearcut below the gazebo. But by then my hands started getting seriously cold, and some other walkers came wandering down the trail, so I gave the deer a silent wave goodbye and headed across the road to the Beaver Pond.







No turtles or fish to see this time, though I did spot a hawk and some cardinals, as well as the start of what looked to be a fairly nice sunset. After circling the pond, I headed over to the viewing platform and gazebo near the visitors' center, but couldn't really get very good views of the setting sun. I did see the deer again, though, and they seemed rather surprised to see me!







By that time it was getting cold and a bit on the darker side, so as much as I was enjoying being outdoors I packed up and headed home. I definitely would have liked to have been able to run, but going for a 1.5-2 mile walk at Five Rivers was definitely the next best thing... and with luck I get a few opportunities to run tomorrow at the Hawley Kiln Notch snowshoe race! (And possibly at another MA state park afterwards... that has yet to be determined, but this will probably be my last chance to put in some miles before the Pittsfield Peaks Snowshoe Half Marathon next weekend.)

JMH