Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Valuable Lesson?
Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Of course, the big local news for the last day or so has been Governor Spitzer being tied fairly closely to the high end prostitution ring, which has led to everything from speculations that he'll resign to demands that he be impeached. Given the way things are looking now, I'd say it's inevitable he's going to leave office sooner rather than later - the question is most likely how can he use that as a negotiating tactic against the prosecution that may be following as a result of his incredibly stupid actions.

I have to admit, I'm very disappointed - given how he came charging into office, there was definite hope he was going to finally put paid to some of the crooks we have deeply entrenched in our state government. And as I mentioned back in January, I was extremely pleased that his proposed budget for the upcoming year included major funds for parks and green spaces in New York State.

At the same time, there's a valuable lesson here that all too often the kids I teach just don't get - the fact that one bad decision can change the course of your life forever. Working with teenagers (and typically teenagers from well-to-do families, at that) I'm almost always confronted with the attitude that anything can be fixed or negotiated or made better or just made to go away. Bomb a test - "hey, Doc, what can I do for extra credit?" Get in trouble - "I'm sorry I did such a stupid thing, it won't happen again, I'll do whatever you want me to to make up for it." Get pulled over for speeding or using a cell phone while driving or even DUI or DWI - "No problem, my parents have connections."

Sorry, guys and gals, but sometimes you have to live (or die) with the consequences of your actions. One bad decision can change, ruin, or even end your life. That's something which has just become abundantly clear to Governor Spitzer and all those around him. And maybe, if just for a few minutes, it will help drive that point home for someone who needs to understand it, and help them make a good decision rather than a bad one. I can only hope...

JMH