Monday, May 05, 2008

16.3 Mile Ride on the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Path
Monday, May 5, 2008

I knew I wouldn't be up to anything too strenuous after yesterday's exertions, but it was just too nice an evening to stay indoors and work, so I took the Dawes over to the bike path for some easy riding... besides, the Spring Classic Du is just around the corner and I haven't put in anywhere near enough time on that bike.

Headed east, to the top of the big hill, then back west to the Lions Park, where I picked up a jacket - it was getting pretty chilly. Along the way I passed lots of folks walking, skating, and riding, including a short paceline of "real" riders (I may wear the bargain version of the silly clothes, but I doubt I'll ever be anything more than a recreational rider... albeit at times a hardcore recreational rider!) From the park I headed over to Lock 7, where I found the Niskayuna Fire Department setting up for some type of drill. That kept me from lingering for too long, so I headed on my way a little further west, stopping partway up the big hill along the old landfill.

From there I had a pretty good view of the NFD pumper periodically shooting a stream of water out into the river... perhaps they were practicing using open bodies of water as a water source, or maybe they had targets they were aiming for, I couldn't tell. I also heard some type of very noisy boat, and on my way back I found out why - they were also practicing water rescues, with one lucky fellow floating in the water as the victim and the others on what I would call a swamp boat (though I think it's officially called an airboat.) I stood on the shore and watched them go through a water rescue, snapping pictures all the while... pretty interesting stuff, all told. I'm hoping to put the pictures I took on a CD and mail them to the NFD... some of them came out pretty well, considering it was getting fairly dark by then.

Once they finished up I headed on my way, stopping once to check out what looked like a dam in the stream alongside the path, just before the red bridge. I've spotted a large lodge-like structure in there before... wonder if some beavers have moved in? From there I headed back to the park, where I spent some time on the deck of the old railroad station looking out at the river and listening to the insects, birds, and frogs... and muskrats - one came swimming up while I was there, then headed off further along the river. I also spotted two bats zipping around reducing the bug population (hurray for bats!) I can think of much worse ways to end the day...

JMH