Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Bit O' Driving for a Sunny Afternoon
Saturday, May 10, 2008

Despite the weather forecast it turned out to be a fairly nice afternoon after all.

Started out heading down into Ithaca, with a stop for some lunch and a visit to the local Borders, where I found a nice set of Finger Lakes Trail maps with a small guidebook... one of the cool things about Borders is that they often stock local products like that, which is why I decided to stop by in the first place.

From there I headed up along the western shore of Cayuga Lake. Since it was only a mile out of the way, I made a short side trip to the overlook at Taughannock Falls, one of the highest waterfalls in New York... not a tremendous amount of water going over the falls, but it was still fairly nice. I briefly thought about doing the gorge hike (about 3 miles round trip) but decided that I wanted to get out to Ann's sooner rather than later.

Eventually I made my way over to the eastern shore of Seneca Lake, hoping to see some white deer inside the old Seneca Army Depot along route 96a... no luck, but I did stop to photograph a flock of sheep and I saw a coyote running though a field next to the road (I would have stopped to photograph him, but there was a car right on my tail.)

I can definitely think of better ways to spend a nice Saturday afternoon besides riding in a car... but at least I got to drive through some pleasant countryside on a nice day.

JMH